Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What is Prayer?: A Reflection

Written September 9th

Obviously, as a faith-based program, a lot of our days and discussions revolve around spirituality, our walks and experiences in faith. Part of this is structured, like our daily evening prayer and spirituality nights, while some is more organic. As we have now been through a couple weeks with every housemate having led prayer in their own way and talking about when they feel closest to God, it has made me ponder the question: What is prayer? I know there are a million resources our there and I´m not sure there is actually an answer...at least not a ¨right¨ or ¨definite¨ one. So below you will find my reflection on the question, not my answer to it.

It is an interesting questions and an important one to figure out, at least for your own spirituality and discovering how it is going to fit into your life. I also believe that it is a very different question than ¨How do I pray?¨ and should be the first to be answered. Afterall, how can you figure out how to do something when you don´t know what it is?
I believe prayer is a time that you set aside and spend with God. I believe it can be a moment as you speak to Him, when He speaks to you, or even as you are both silent, simply enjoying each others´ presence. Notice ¨time you set aside¨. I do not mean that it is something separate from your day-to-day life, in fact I hope it becomes the opposite, so engrained in your thoughts and actions that prayer is always happening. (But that is a goal to strive for and not yet a reality for most of us.) I was instead suggesting an intentionality. In my experience, prayer most serves its purpose (which varies) when I am intentional and aware that I am bringing God into that time with me.

I know that may seem simple (and a ¨duh¨ moment for some of you) but I think the foundation is supposed to be. It is simple to say ¨build a house¨ and another thing entirely to do it. Deciding that you are building a house is, however, the essential first step as it would do you no good to gather materials and start hammering things together without first knowing what you are building. How one goes about building is up to the individual and varies in traditions, personal style/comfort and the purpose.
What prayer ¨looks like¨ can vary in as many ways as the type of house someone may build. One of our prayer nights this past week was a self-reflection and one thing we thought about was beliefs we have outgrown. I have outgrown the belief that to pray your eyes should be shut, hands clasped in silence. I still think that is an option, but it is definitely not the only way. Think about the ways you spend time with your friends...sometimes it is one-on-one, delving deep, other times it may be with others or sharing an activity you both enjoy. I personally love just being with my friends, even if our primary focus is not on one another. Writing letters (or emails :) ), shouting ´Hello´ as you pass, getting to know their friends...the list goes on. When you apply this to your relationship with God, you can really be praying at any time. Spend some time talking to Him - verbalizing, thinking, writing, singing - and/or listening to hear His voice in silence, in His word, in worship. Do things you both enjoy (acts of service, loving others, being in fellowship, reading the Bible, reflecting on your day, using the gifts He blessed you with, etc) and just remember to include Him in it! You would be amazed how much He talks to you when you invite Him into your days.

With these things, I considered whether prayer was always an active process or if it could be passive as well. Reflecting on my experience (with God and with friends, to keep the metaphor going), it is totally possible to be passive in your prayer life, always letting God come to you. But I found that being active is more effective and beneficial. Do not mistake ¨active¨ for activity or doing though. I am simply suggesting you participate.

I hope this was mildly interesting, helpful or even a good reminder for those reading. I certainly hope it can be somewhat applicable in your life. No matter what this post meant or didn´t mean to you, keep praying! (Whatever that looks like to you :) )

I would welcome comments on how you view prayer and maybe ways you go about incorporating it into your life. Maybe I can use it for a prayer night here in Ecuador!

No comments:

Post a Comment